Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Girls Room MAKEOVER: The floor!!

Well, I did it.... finally.  After SIX looooooooonnnnnnnggg months, the bedroom is done (almost)....  hehehehe.

This is what it started out like:

First, I emptied the room and ripped out the carpet.   I let my nine year old decide on the colors (see the walls)  Then after some research on the web - I decided to paint the subflooring instead of putting more carpet in:
Lots of wood putty and sanding...
Primer & paint
More wood putty, primer & paint

Couple coats of poly floor varnish and......  TA DA!!!!!!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Girl's Room MAKEOVER: New Lights

I know I'm jumping ahead of myself, but I've been working on the girl's room - making it over from bottom to top.  Here's the top - I made a frame with wood, put in a piece of plexi-glass and covered it with canvas - It look pretty cool in their room.  It's pretty heavy, but the hooks seem to be doing it's job - boy was it a pain to hang!!  It's pretty good sized - about 2x3 feet.

I like the way there is a glow between the light and the ceiling.  Originally I thought I could just use some rice paper styled vinyl window decal, but too much showed through - so I added the canvas.

Monday, March 1, 2010

More chainmaille fun!

Some more fun with Chainmaille!! This is a bracelet with a copper ring in the middle joined by sterling silver rings and 14K Gold-filled. It took FOREVER for me to make (about 1 hour per "flower".) The more I worked the easier it became!


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Posting on Etsy

Just posted some copper pieces on Etsy. It was really fun making them! Now, just figure out to to get more shoppers to come by..... hmmmmmm.....


Monday, February 15, 2010

My first chainmail pieces!

How exciting! I was finally able to make some pieces with the jump rings I made the other day. I really enjoyed doing this, and can't wait to start putting some more things together and seeing how people like them!

This is the bracelet I made for my Mom. It's 4mm copper jump rings and 4mm brass jump rings. Turned out better than I thought it would!!

A piece of copper with my son's name stamped on it. Yeah, stamping is another story for another day, but it is my first stab at stamping metal as well. I will have to work a little harder on it. It's very difficult to stamp evenly.

This is a copper chain I made with 4mm double copper jump rings and a "v" of jump rings that I added some tourmaline to. It turned out really good! I wish I had somewhere to wear it to!!


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Foredom Flex Shaft Fun

I really want to start making chainmail. It looks so beautiful! My Mom wants a bracelet that honors my son, and plans to wear it until he returns from Afganistan. I thought chainmail would be the perfect thing to make her! So another purchase - another expensive purchase, but again, I hope to get my return someday :). When I got my pepe jump ring maker in the mail I was so excited. I got the one that came with the foredom flex shaft. The instructions said to take apart the flex shaft and re-assemble it, so I did. I set everything up and turned the drill on, but the saw wouldn't cut the rings. BUMMER! It took two days, and some wonderful people from Etsy (especially http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheSpeeceCollection). As it turns out, when I had reassembled the thing WRONG -- Well, after all was done, I had JUMP RINGS!!! WOO HOO!

The is the pepe jump ring maker. A coil is complete on the rod.

Some coils ready to be cut.

Copper and Brass jump rings complete and ready to use!

All in all, once I got it figured out, it only took about 10 minutes to make about 500 jump rings! Amazing, and a huge cost saver! I look forward to start the chain mail. Comments and hints/tips/suggestions are welcome!


Monday, February 1, 2010

Disc Cutter Fun!!

I finally got my Disc Cutter in!! I ordered copper sheets along with it, so I could practice using it (Sterling Silver sheets are SOOOO expensive!). The shavings on the cutter is called Bur-Lite, which is supposed to keep the punches ability to cut cleanly. Along with the disc cutter I ordered the center-positioning die set, the red pad in the picture, a hole punch (to punch a 1mm hole in the finished product so I can incorporate it into my jewelry), a pair of wire sheers (to cut the copper sheet), bur-lite and a brass 1lb hammer. I'm thinking I should have also ordered some files, but will try to use what I have. The cuts are clean and sharp. It took only a couple of hits with hammer to cut the disc! Quite easy to do, and I the ideas how I could use these are bombarding my brain!! It was a quite expensive order, so I hope it pays for itself in the long run.

Below are images of my first washers and circles (I'm sure there's another name for it). As you can see, one of the washers is WAY off center, so I will have to work on getting the hang of the positioning die. Hopefully soon, I will post some pictures of some jewelry using my awesome new tool!!